Friday, October 1, 2010

Om Nom Nom Nom

Well, I have to admit, one of the most important things to me for my wedding is the food.  But the problem is that I don't have the money to splurge on a good caterer.  Heck, a good caterer could cost my entire budget twice over.  So while I'd love for this to be my 'splurge' item, instead, it's 'that thing I might pay to have done professionally.'


High end catering is completely out of the question, no matter how I look at it.  Heck, even lower end catering often charges $20 a person, which for 50 folks, is $1000.  And with the other things I have to pay for, that's just too much, unfortunately.  Besides, a lot of that catering is either down home Southern classics, or barbecue.  Not that there's anything wrong with a good barbecue, but I personally prefer something a little bit more special.

Asian food is the direction I want to take.  I love Chinese, Japanese, Thai...  It's all so delicious!  And Joshua nd I are friends with a man who owns a Japanese restaurant, who has offered to make free sushi for our guests as a gift!  How can I turn down such a generous offer?  However, I don't want to rely on his generosity to feed all of our guests.  So I've started looking at other ways to feed our guests with an Asian flare.

I've narrowed it down to two major options.  One is to bring family and friends into the mix and enlist help in making shish kabobs on the grill.  I could do most of the prep work ahead of time, and hopefully get our fathers and brothers to chip in with the grilling.  Meat, veggies, with rice and salad as side dishes, and it's shaping up to be a scrumptious meal!  However, I can see this being more stressful on me, and some of my guests who would probably rather be taking it easy.

The other option is to get Chinese takeout for 50 people.  With advance warning, of course.  I actually found a business in Nashville that does this sort of catering.  This would be more expensive, but it would certainly be easier.  This would leave me the time I will probably desperately need for doing other important things.  Like remembering to breathe.  I'm leaning towards this option, since it's only about $250 for enough food for all my guests, but it's good to know I have a backup plan in case money gets tight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment